Friday, 12 July 2013

Ruben, Berlin (in English)

This week I have a very special interview for you all, this person I have always pictured as the first scholar of Jugger.  Ruben is passionate about the development of Jugger and building a community around this sport. 

Ruben has always been very active in tracking down international Jugger groups as they sprang up around the world and doing his part to help build a wider Jugger community, something that I have taken great joy in seeing continue to grow over the years. When the Australian Juggers wanted to travel to Germany to join in the tournaments there it was Ruben that was very helpful in giving us the information and help in building contacts in Europe amongst the Juggers there.

Ruben has written books about Jugger, interviewed the director that gave birth to the idea of Jugger and has always worked to build the sense of community across the Jugger world, so please enjoy the interview

Find the interview in German HERE

Finden Sie das Interview in Deutsch HIER



What...is your name?
Ruben, 77,7, nicknamed Uhu ("Eagleowl") a long time ago for my really thick glasses. I came to like the nickname and so made the eagleowl to something like my personal crest.

What...is your quest?
To stay addicted to Jugger and spread this wonderful addiction.

What...is your favourite colour?
White on navy. Självklart!


Right, off you go

Let’s hear some more about you

What year did you appear on our glorious little planet 
The best single year in Universes history. I think.


What Country / City are you from and where do you play?
From Berlin and in Berlin. And now, Västmanland in Sweden. Not far from Västerås. You now, the country Game of Thrones got its main place names from.

When and how were you introduced to Jugger?
About eight or nine years ago, a friend told me about weirdos doing weird things in a park, we went there and I instantly became addicted.

What is your Sporting background before starting Jugger and has Jugger had an influence on your interest in Sports and fitness?

I have had a look into some martial arts -- six or seven years Judo, some years of sports fencing, Uechi Ryu Karate and so on -- and found Jugger to be the perfect combination of those as well as teamsports. And I was glad to have a reason to do more sport, which I wanted to but most classical sports were just not my thing.




We all know that Jugger is the centre of the universe but some people persist in having interests outside of Jugger, so what do you do for fun when there isn’t a Jugger game available?

That is not possible. 


...except for writing books on Jugger.

Why did you start writing Jugger books? Will there be more?
Well, I am working as a writer of novels and factbooks. So it was only natural that I had to (i mean: HAD TO) write on this fantastic sport. After the first three books in German ((LINK:
http://jugger.uhusnest.de )) have I translated one book into English, which you can download for free ((LINK: http://jugger.uhusnest.de/en_juggerbook.shtml )); I would be very glad if you could contribute a bit on how Jugger is played in your country, by the way -- I would love to enlarge the international section.


The next book is almost ready for print in a small, highly-ambitioned publishing house, with what I think is a gourgeous layout. This will be something like a jugger handbook, where basic moves are explained with photos, not unlike those martial arts handbooks.

What is the aim of the International Jugger Blog and Jugger in Sweden?
The International Jugger Blog ((LINK: 
http://www.juggerblog.net)) should offer an overview how and where Jugger is played around the world. In Sweden ((LINK: http://www.jugger.se )) am I working on introducing Jugger -- who if not the Vikings should be interested in such a sport ... we will see.

How would you describe Jugger (as in game play) to someone in three sentences or less?
The beauty of chaos.

What is your favourite part of the game / position on the field / weapon?
My favourite position is shield. I have almost only trained shield and thus lack competence in all other spars. But I do think that the shield has many disadvantages, so my choice might not have been the best.

In relation to that which weapon do most enjoy going up against, which weapon do you least enjoy going against, and why?

Chain is very challenging for shield players. That is very amusing.

If you could add/change/remove any rule what would it be, and why?
Over-detailed rules discussions, the game must work on itself and the players, not because of overregulation and I would love to see the Irish double rule in Germany -- they are on to the best way to implement it.

Where would you like to see Jugger go?
To spread over the world and meet people from foreign countries at those unique big BBQ events where you hit each other. Moreover, to be established in Sweden -- I want to play where I live ... :)


Why did you pick your team to join?
What makes your team special?
The Berlin team I founded and I have been captain of till last year, the Falcojugger
, are first and foremost very amicable people who fit together very well. For falcons are no flock birds is it always a challenge to get most players to training, but we have played reasonably well nonetheless (see http://falcojugger.uhusnest.de/beuteflug.shtml ). 


Most important: We are really like a circle of friends, although we have different backgrounds and are of different age.




I have also been very active in the Jugger e. V. in Berlin and often took the role of a "moderator" even in the Hamburg-Heidelberg/Berlin conflict. Maybe therefore I became guardian of the German Jugger rulebook between 2007 and 2012. Although with the schism between the Jugger e. V., which then lead to the foundation of a jugger section at a traditional sports club just right over the road from the old training place, I fear that that position became a bit dented. There were some "Inner Circle" issues, and I personally think that some bizarre things that happened afterwards showed that it had really been time for a change. I certainly did make mistakes as well – nobody is perfect in the end.

I just hope that the two factions will at least come to good terms again and work together, and indeed the recent developments look promising. Time will show.

What is your favourite Jugger memory ?
To speak with the director of the jugger film and explain to him that Jugger is now played as a sport!


Are you here of your own free will or were you hypnotised?
Blink twice for yes, three times for no.

You get 77,7 blinks.

Is there some burning secret that you really want to tell the world?
I did never know that BBQ could be so much fun!
Some places to find Rubens Jugger projects:
Find an interview (audio) with Ruben in English at Tentaclepr0n on the roots, rules and character of Jugger here

Jugger i Sverige (Jugger in Sweden)


The International Jugger blog 


Rubens Jugger books: 


Meanwhile...on the internet

Have a read of this great little article about Jugger from an American Sports Blog

sportazine.com blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment