So now I present to you all the first player from the USA to grace these pages, Wess of the Marietta Murder, creator of the dog-skull classic and one of the driving fores behind the growing sports jugger rise in the USA.
Read on and enjoy...
The Person
What...is your name?
Wess Apshaga-Meaux
Wess Apshaga-Meaux
What...is your quest?
To taste death and live life to it's fullest.
What...is your favourite colour?
I have a preference for dark, earthy greens.
I have a preference for dark, earthy greens.
Right, off you go.
Let’s hear some more about you
I was born on February 12th, 1980.
What Country / City are you from and where do you play?
I am from Marietta, Ohio, in the United States of America. I play Jugger in the aforementioned city, state and country.
I am from Marietta, Ohio, in the United States of America. I play Jugger in the aforementioned city, state and country.
When and how were you introduced to Jugger?
In the early 90s I watched The Blood of Heroes at my uncle's house while staying there for a weekend. I very shortly thereafter tried getting my friends to play it (or the reasonable facsimile thereof that I could remember) with broomsticks, trashcan lids and a Nerf football. Suffice it to say, that only lasted once before the injuries mounted and I was shut down by the neighbourhood parents.
The Game left my memory for the next 20 years... One night in 2010 I was reading a book of post apocalyptic short stories and The Blood of Heroes popped into my head. I immediately consulted the internets, ordered a copy of the movie from Amazon and then, that night, discovered that Jugger was being played in Germany and Australia. I decided then and there that I wanted to play. As no one I knew was playing, I had to start up my own group and Jugger Ohio was born.
![]() |
| Wess displaying the latest in Jugger fashion Photo: Todd Cooper |
In the early 90s I watched The Blood of Heroes at my uncle's house while staying there for a weekend. I very shortly thereafter tried getting my friends to play it (or the reasonable facsimile thereof that I could remember) with broomsticks, trashcan lids and a Nerf football. Suffice it to say, that only lasted once before the injuries mounted and I was shut down by the neighbourhood parents.
The Game left my memory for the next 20 years... One night in 2010 I was reading a book of post apocalyptic short stories and The Blood of Heroes popped into my head. I immediately consulted the internets, ordered a copy of the movie from Amazon and then, that night, discovered that Jugger was being played in Germany and Australia. I decided then and there that I wanted to play. As no one I knew was playing, I had to start up my own group and Jugger Ohio was born.
What is your Sporting background before starting Jugger?
Prior to starting Jugger Ohio, my interest in sports other than half marathons, and the odd game of softball for my employer's company team was pretty much zero.
Prior to starting Jugger Ohio, my interest in sports other than half marathons, and the odd game of softball for my employer's company team was pretty much zero.
Has Jugger had an influence on your interest in Sports and fitness?
Definitely! After playing Jugger for a few months, I finally 'understood' people's interest in sports. I started watching Rugby in February of 2012 and have plans to start up a club locally to start playing in the next few months as a matter of fact.
Definitely! After playing Jugger for a few months, I finally 'understood' people's interest in sports. I started watching Rugby in February of 2012 and have plans to start up a club locally to start playing in the next few months as a matter of fact.
We all know that Jugger is the centre of the universe but some people persist in having interests outside of Jugger, so what do you do for fun when there isn’t a Jugger game available?
I am and have been a fire performer for the last 8 years. Other than that, I enjoy craft beer, gourmet food, reading, seeing live music, running, camping and many, many more things. It could be said that I have a ridiculous amount of interests.
I am and have been a fire performer for the last 8 years. Other than that, I enjoy craft beer, gourmet food, reading, seeing live music, running, camping and many, many more things. It could be said that I have a ridiculous amount of interests.
The Game
How would you describe Jugger (as in game play) to someone in three sentences or less?
Two teams of five people each meet on a pitch to partake in armed and unarmed combat for the purpose of placing a ball in a goal.
Two teams of five people each meet on a pitch to partake in armed and unarmed combat for the purpose of placing a ball in a goal.
What is your favourite part of the game / position on the field / weapon?
![]() |
| The Chain, Rolls Royce of Pompfen Photo: Brianna Bodie |
I absolutely love the armed combat aspect of Jugger. All of my years as a child spent pretending I was Conan the Barbarian and or a Ninja are finally being put to good use. I mostly play as The Chain, but on the odd times when we are short handed and are playing with less than full teams, or if the other team does not have a chain player available, I either play as Qwik or use the Two Handed Longsword/Pompfen.
In relation to that which weapon do most enjoy going up against, which weapon do you least enjoy going against, and why?
I find the Q-Tip to be one of the more challenging pompfen to go up against. This is due to it's long reach and dual striking surfaces. It can be used for the longest thrust attack of all of the pompfen and can be deceiving by baiting you with one end and then using the other end to attack.
If you could add/change/remove any rule what would it be, and why?
Enforcers should only be allowed to move the skull backwards toward their 'home' side. Otherwise you can run in to someone batting the skull, field hockey style across the field towards the goal. Which is in my opinion, a little unfair. The Qwik should be the one to move the skull across the field toward their own goal.
What is it about Jugger that keeps you coming back?
Pretty much everything. The combat, the running, the dodging, the camaraderie. Everything.
Where would you like to see Jugger go?
I would love to eventually see Jugger played on television. There's no reason it couldn't be on ESPN 2 or 3. It's certainly more interesting than some things I have seen on other sports networks. The sky is the limit for the potential of Jugger.
The Experience
What is your favourite Jugger story?
There are really too many to tell but I will say that my team winning the very first American Jugger tournament was a personal favourite. The opposing team was well skilled and played fantastically but in the end, our team prevailed.
Why did you pick your team to join?
I didn't pick a team to join. I started my team, The Marietta Murder.
What makes your team special?
We were the very first American Jugger champions. Not to mention our witty charm.
What is your favourite Jugger memory ?
A rainy afternoon had turned our normal pitch into a mud pit that we used anyway. I don't remember who even won that day but everyone had such a blast getting incredibly filthy that it didn't matter. This was followed up with a trip to the local Brew Pub for drinks afterwards.
BONUS QUESTION SECTION
If you could sit down for 5 minutes with a jugger you have never met what would you ask them / want to know?
I would go over the rules sets and compare and contrast any differences, however subtle.
How far would you go to play Jugger?
I would go as far as was needed, finances willing.
Can I touch your hair / beard?
My Epic Mutton Chops? Get in line.
Which sports person/celebrity/fiction character would you most like to see play Jugger and why?
I would love to see Drizzt Do'Urden (of the fantasy book series, The Legend of Drizzt) play and use the pair of short pompfen so it could finally be done justice and taken seriously as an actual threat... because it's not really generally.
What is your favourite weapon and will you use it on me?
Actual weapon or Jugger pompfen? Actual weapon would likely be my dual headed dwarven battle axe. No I won't use it on you. If you mean Jugger chain, yes... I'd be happy to.
Are you here of your own free will or were you hypnotised?
The former.
Blink twice for yes, three times for no.
I did. Did you see?
Meanwhile, on Facebook...


No comments:
Post a Comment