Sunday, 21 April 2013

Ann Marie (Dublin, Ireland)

Here it is, the first interview and I wanted something special. For the first interview I have chosen someone who is not only new to the sport, but a Jugger that I have never met. A person who kindly leapt into a project she knew nothing about, after a request from someone she knew nothing about... and so as a reward for reckless trusting of strange juggers Ann Marie gets to grace your screens as the first interview you will see here.
I am hoping that you find this interview as intriguing, fascinating and amusing as I did. 

...and so, on to the first interview for the Nine Cities - Miss Ann Marie of Dublin




THE PERSON 


What...is your name?
Ann Marie Burke (Ambi)

What...is your quest?
To majestically charge into battle! Like a war horse! Without the saddle!


What...is your favourite colour?
Red. It looks good in a beard, but I can't grow one of those so I have to settle for wearing red clothing. (^_^)




Right, off you go.

Let’s hear some more about you

What year did you appear on our glorious little planet ?

I busted out of the womb on the 3rd June 1989. I had to get out before the 90s struck. 80's music was good, hair was big, George Micheal was cool, the Berlin wall was coming down....it seemed like a good time to make a break for it. 

What Country / City are you from and where do you play?
I'm Irish. Born and raised in county Sligo, complete with ridiculous Sligo/Roscommon hybrid accent. Currently living in Dublin, my accent under wraps unless calling home.

I play in Fairview Park with my fellow juggers. It's close enough to the city center of Dublin.


When and how were you introduced to Jugger?
I was dragged along to a mini tournament by my best friend Sarah Bevan a few months ago....October 2012. She told me I'd get to hit people with sticks in return for showing up. Needless to say, I was sold.

What is your Sporting background before starting Jugger?
I was always quite awkward about sports before starting jugger. I didn't know how to 'reel it in' in terms of strength or interest as a kid. I constantly hurt other players when I used to play hurling as a child. Being too vicious to play with other girls, they let me play with the boys instead. Playing with boys allowed me to go full feral on a pitch. I eventually gave it up and resided to solo sports like swimming, walking, and gym. When I was introduced to jugger, I finally had a sport I felt at home with.

Has Jugger had an influence on your interest in Sports and fitness?
Oh hell yeah! I used to be quite chubby until I came to Dublin over a year ago to do my Masters in Digital Games in Dublin Institute of Technology. I had to walk everywhere, so I started to lose weight over time. Adding jugger to that improved my stamina, overall strength, my ability to compartmentalize, and my overall diet. Juggers know how to eat!

We all know that Jugger is the centre of the universe but some people persist in having interests outside of Jugger, so what do you do for fun when there isn’t a Jugger game available?
I've started learning how to grapple lately. It's either doing wonders for my confidence, or just making me completely delusional. Most of the guys I play jugger with are skyscrapers, or made of solid muscle and have martial arts, rugby or some kind of wrestling background. They throw me around the place at training, movie nights, social events....yeaaaah, I'm a kinetic/cognitive learner. They're all perfect gentlemen so I'm in good hands....until they drop/flip/trip me. I think grappling is a good skill to learn. I'm looking forward to fighting more people now!

I make video games, do graphic design and draw pretty things for a living! I'm the Lead Animator of a team that's currently making a 2D sidescrolling puzzle platform game called Pontification. It's my job at the moment, but I draw for fun too, so it doesn't feel like work.

I also design/make/play/climb/cook/bake/fix/build stuff:
Character inspired fleece hats, grappling, plushies, origami, sculpting, drawing, costumes, piano, cosplays, tractors, trees, sheds, animations, comics, awesome chilli, treehouses, pizza.... My brain likes to keep busy.


THE GAME


How would you describe Jugger (as in game play) to someone in three sentences or less?
Jugger is like rugby, hurling aaaaand.....war rolled into one. The rules are simple. The feeling is indescribable.

What is your favourite part of the game / position on the field / weapon? 
My favourite part of the game is when I manage to block a chainplayer and tag them by diving at them.

My favourite position on the field depends on what my opposition is wielding.

My favourite weapon is my staff. It's pretty. There are many like it, but my one is by far the prettiest.


In relation to that which weapon do most enjoy going up against, which weapon do you least enjoy going against, and why?
I like chain blocking. I like it because I've learned to overcome my fear of it and hold my ground. I like taking down chains because they're a big threat in a game if my team is battling it out against a particularly strong team. Chains keep players out of the game for longer, so I see it as my duty to take that sonofabitch down!

I don't like sword and shields. It's like pecking at a turtle! I generally use a defensive stance in game so I'm a little limited in my movements. My tag rate against a sword and shield averages out at about 45/100....I need to improve that.


If you could add/change/remove any rule what would it be, and why?
I have issues with getting hit in the face. It happens by accident, and there are rules already established for getting hit in the head making it an invalid hit zone. But if I had my way I'd allow the person who got hit in the face special privileges on a staff to jab till the end of that match. Why? REVENGE!

What is it about Jugger that keeps you coming back?
The people I play jugger with keep me coming back for more. 

I'm finally around people I can be myself around and they're not afraid of me! Normal people find me too weird/psychotic/creative/excitable/random to endure, but these guys allow me to be myself and not feel like I have to restrain my personality anymore. I can have a conversation with a jugger that involves meowing, hissing and growling and feel totally at peace with myself and their company.

They take the piss out of me, stack stuff on me, tie me up, build forts on me, and facepalm at all the silly stuff I say all the time, but I'm cool with that because each of them has something about them that makes them unique and precious to me. Just being around them makes me feel like I can breathe easy. It's like being part of a family.

It took me 22 years to find these people. They were worth the wait and they're worth the effort getting to know.


Where would you like to see Jugger go?

I want to see Jugger teams popping up around the world. Jugger is a wonderful sport. It teaches team work, communication and allows people to discover stuff about themselves they may not have realised before. People management, organization, social, teaching skills... You can learn a lot about yourself when you're favourite thing to do every weekend is hit people with sticks!




THE EXPERIENCE

What is your favourite Jugger story?
My favourite Jugger story so far has to be the time I fell asleep...TWICE!... at Fantasy Movie Night. Let it be said now: You're not supposed to fall asleep around juggers. I knew this but it happened anyway.

First Sleep:
While I slept on a beanbag, my fellow juggers proceeded to build a fort on me. Not just any fort though, they turned the beanbag I was sleeping on into a speaker! I woke up in complete darkness under cushions, hats, bottles, blankets...etc. Annoyed at myself more than them.

I decided to rest my eyes later on that night. I remember saying that too....Well, the obvious happened.

Second Sleep:

While I slept....again...on the beanbag, my fellow juggers decided to up the anty on what they could do to me as I slept. I awoke to the sound of them whispering very loudly into the side of my head "COCKRAGE!"

I looked around me and realized that they had managed to tie me to the beanbag with ropes. As I pondered where the rope came from I suddenly found myself being swung around. The little feckers had also tied one of my feet and were now attempting to hoist me into the air via a makeshift pulley secured around a roof beam. They were unsuccessful. I later learned an interesting quote had been said by one of the noobies to the group that night which raised eyebrows.

I was stunned, somewhat taken aback, and slightly impressed at what they had managed to do, even though I was annoyed at myself for falling asleep again.

In memory of that night I decided to dedicate a comic to it.




Why did you pick your team to join? 
It's the only one I know of that is in my area.

What makes your team special?

Their initiative, their love of childish humour, and their mutual agreement to always "go deep"...hehehee

What is your favourite Jugger memory ?

Absolutely everything about it so far. I've learned/been introduced to so much stuff since I started playing. They call me 'deprived' a lot. I figure they see it as their duty to educate me in film, kink, how to efficiently defeat people in battle, and that the only deity juggers worship is the Mud God.


How has you first international tournament been for your Jugger experience?I loved it. It has only added to my obsession with jugger now! 

I now have areas to work on in order to be an effective killing machine for the Berlin tournament! My fitness levels will hopefully be through thei roof come September!

Not only that, but I have met and made so many friends through the Spanish tournament. I must add them all to my Empire of DERP! I also intend to make lots of jugger merchandise and sell at the next tournament!


BONUS QUESTION SECTION 

If you could sit down for 5 minutes with a jugger you have never met what would you ask them / want to know?

"Hi. I'm Ann Marie. I play jugger. Wow! You're really pretty! I can lift you and you're warm! It's like I'm hugging a walking radiator! Okay, serious question.....Do you meow at people?"

That's pretty much how all my introductions to juggers I've never met before go....


How far would you go to play Jugger?

In terms of distance or need?

Distance: I'd travel anywhere, so long as I was with people who are equally as committed to jugger as me, and I had the cash to do so.

Need: I'd sit through all the mind numbing Twilight films and read all the stupid books if it was the only thing standing between me and playing jugger. Everything else, I'd probably just try and eat/fight my way out of.


Is there something about Jugger a club, a city, country etc that you would really like to know?

I'd like to know why it took so long for me to be introduced to Jugger!??!?!!

I hope you enjoyed this interview as much as I did and that you will join me for those that will follow. If you know someone you would like interviewed let me know who they are and how to get in touch, If you have a tournament or Jugger news you would like people to know about drop me a line.


Next interview should be up next Friday! 
Stay tuned and let me know what you think and what you would like to see.

Email Me

1 comment:

  1. Great interview, it sounds like the Dublin crew are great fun!

    ReplyDelete