Friday, 26 April 2013

Wendy (Brisbane, Australia ... and many, many, many other places)

Well, here we go for a second round, with Wendy - what can I say about Wendy without being dragged into court for libel...I have known Wendy for longer than either of us is probably willing to admit to at this stage, although Wendy is probably more likely to give you an amusing reaction to the question of 'how long?'. 


Wendy at this stage has to be one of the best traveled Juggers that I know and definitely one of the easiest to get to know. Wendy is a force of nature bouncing into a room, getting to know everyone and spreading infectious enthusiasm for whatever amusement is on offer and then bouncing off to the next adventure dragging people in her wake.

Without any further rambling for me, I give you Wendy the Wandering Jugger.

THE PERSON


What...is your name? 
Wendy. 

Like duh! We've known each other for too long to think a Monty Python sketch is going to make you forget who I am!


What...is your quest? 

To rid the world of stupid people. I have a catapult  If I deem you stupid, you fly. Pretty simple system. I designed it myself so it never fails. :) 

What...is your favourite colour? 

Pinstriped red and/or white on black. :P 



Wendy, Australian Rules friendly at Homburg
Photo - Christian Garcia


Right, off you go. 



Let’s hear some more about you 


What year did you appear on our glorious little planet ?

I can't remember.... I think there were dinosaurs. 

What Country / City are you from and where do you play? 
Australia/Brisbane. When at home I play in Brisbane. I am currently a mercenary in Hannover, Germany. 

When and how were you introduced to Jugger? 
*pulls up a comfy chair, and dresses in something a little more "comfortable"* - No! Not _that_ kind of comfortable! :P 

In October 2003, at a party I held, a friend brought some flyers for this weird sport thing her brother was starting up in Brisbane. She had this thought that I, and my whole household would be very interested. We turned up the next day, but I kept turning up.


What is your Sporting background before starting Jugger? 
Enforced sport at school! 

In reality though, avoided the physical education classes but happily played many sports. I played tennis a lot. Other than that, if there was a fun game of something happening I would have a go at it. ;-) I ended up playing indoor soccer for a work team that way.


Has Jugger had an influence on your interest in Sports and fitness? 
I still play tennis and roller blade as my main activities when I get the chance. While in Germany I find the competitiveness of jugger pushes me to train to be fitter and better. 

We all know that Jugger is the centre of the universe but some people persist in having interests outside of Jugger, so what do you do for fun when there isn’t a Jugger game available? 
Well... Other than hang out with Brain and plan to take over the world... My interests at the moment cover Poi and fire dancing, playing in the snow (not the yellow stuff!), travelling - I can't stress this enough. It gets in the way of my juggering at times! 


Wendy in Canberra
Photo - Susan Lewis
THE GAME

How would you describe Jugger (as in game play) to someone in three sentences or less? 
It is one of those things you have to witness. It is chaos and fun and wild and planned and indescribable. It is also a sport with big padded sticks and squishy balls on chains that is played quickly and with an emphasis on sportsmanship. 

What is your favourite part of the game / position on the field / weapon? 
3.. 2... 1... Jugger! 
... Especially while wielding a double chain! :-) 


Which weapon do you least and most enjoy going against, and why? 
I find it isn't a weapon type in particular. It is particular people or teams that I enjoy the most. Likewise with my least favourite. When I know a team and I see them pit their strongest or fastest player against me, then I enjoy the challenge of taking out their keystone player. On the other hand, there are some teams or people I don't enjoy playing, regardless of their choice of weapon - most commonly due to their lack of sportsmanship. 

If you could add/change/remove any rule what would it be, and why? 
Of the Australian rules I would extend the hit zones to match the rest of the world. 


Of the German rules.. So many things I would change! There aren't that many actual written down rules though. I would definitely be all for their version of a double to be instantaneous - or in the lingo, changed to an Irish double. 

What is it about Jugger that keeps you coming back? 

I love the game! Even after all these years, I still walk off that field with a massive grin on my face. Then I go spend some time with the other teams, and that's when I feel bonded to the game because everyone I talk to feels the same. 

Where would you like to see Jugger go? 
Is it going on holidays? I can plan it an awesome itinerary! I would love to see the interpretation in Asia. Especially Japan and China! 



THE EXPERIENCE

What is your favourite Jugger story? 

'There was this one time... at Band camp... ' :P 

My favourite has to be an Australian game playing as Skullduggery in Brisbane. The two qwiks were in the centre circle, so it was up to the enforcers to knock each other down. The enforcers on my team had pinned their opponents (or chain-dominated them as the other team didn't have a chain blocker). My opponent got up and as I was the closest, headed straight for me. Being a devoted Skullduggerian, I did what anyone would have done. I feinted and pushed him into running backwards at a fellow Skullduggerian conveniently armed with two short swords. One stab to the back and my opponent was also pinned ... and feeling very sheepish about falling for the Skullduggery Rulebook. 


Why did you pick your team to join? 

Skullduggery picked me. I was standing still too long and they nabbed me before another team could even form. 

I am a mercenary in Germany, keeps me loyal to the One True Dog Skull. I do continue to run around at German tournaments in my Skullduggery jersey. Confuses a few people as the AJL logo is not known here, nor is the team. 

What makes your team special? 

The people are ... Special ... and that is all they will allow me to say. 
Secret team stuff and all that.



BONUS QUESTION SECTION 

If you could sit down for 5 minutes with a jugger you have never met what would you ask them / want to know? 
I would like to talk to a Jugger that moves to a new country and starts their own team. I want to know how they managed it, and what they had to overcome to make it popular around them. 

How far would you go to play Jugger? 

Brisbane-Canberra is pretty far. Did that. 

Hannover-Zaragoza via Dublin is pretty far. Plan to do that.

Hannover-Sweden Järnfalkar+Metalfestival (if all goes according to plan). Plan to do that. 

Not to mention the International Jugger tours where Brisbane to Germany every two years is mandatory. :)

I hope you are all enjoying the profiles so far, I hope to bring you all next week with the first tournament review of hopefully many more to come. 

Email Me

1 comment:

  1. Not too anonymous, this is Wolves Hoard from face book, I was the player she pushed back to be pinned by the other Duggery player, try doing that again Wendy! "mutters about revenge and such." Missing you heaps!

    ReplyDelete